HOLLYWOOD: BEFORE AND AFTER CORONAVIRUS

















 

After living and working in Hollywood for almost a decade I have seen a lot of things come and go, however nothing compares to the major changes this town has seen since Coronavirus hit in March of 2020, seven months ago.
This morning I decided toa take a walk and see what had closed down and I was a bit shocked to see that it was many many more places than I had imagined...some small businesses, some chain restaurants and stores, some maybe not gone forever but overall, the magic that Hollywood once held is indefinitely deceased.
I documented how some of the places I used to frequent look today on Oct. 13, 2020 and compared to what they looked like in their pre-Covid glory days...

1. AMEOBA MUSIC STORE
Let's just start with the most painful one - Amoeba Music Store. Although technically they didn't close but relocated (which was already planned before the pandemic), this iconic record store located next to the Arclight theater was a well known Hollywood landmark on 
Sunset Blvd. Sadly, due to lockdowns Amoeba never got the proper goodbye it deserved...

2. HAPPY ENDINGS / SYCAMORE TAVERN
One of my all time favorite dive bars...what used to be “Happy Endings” when I moved to LA in 2011 was a staple for after work drinks, my 27th birthday party and where I watched Brazil lose to Germany during the World Cup and watched Donald Trump win the 2016 election here (and got extremely drunk). Eventually they renovated into “Sycamore Tavern”, meant to be a more “upscale” version of the place but it still always maintained that divey feel...

4. POWERHOUSE
This bar used to be known as the original dive bar of Hollywood (since 1947) before the recent renovation that aimed to change it into a “trendy hipster” style bar...however true locals will never forget how wild it used to be. There was a secret patio out back that you had to know about and I hung out with Hollywood Superman there once (RIP). Let’s hope this bar will live to see another day! 

5. NEXT DOOR LOUNGE
This speakeasy style lounge was another local favorite where you had to know the “secret password” and tell an old gentleman with a top hat at the door to get in...I had another birthday party here and many more good times... 

6. THE CORNER / CARMENCITA
The cafe on the corner called “The Corner” where I went so often I ended up dating one of the waiters! After changing ownership it becaume “Carmencita”, a more upscale Mexican seafood spot but it never maintained the charm of the original and was already set to close.

7. BOWERY
Tiny lil burger place on Sunset and Vine where I used to grab many beers and happy hours after work with coworkers and friends!

8. HARD ROCK CAFE
Although the Hard Rock Cafe is extremely touristy, after shooting a red carpet or seeing a movie at Hollywood & Highland it was always fun to go there and buy over priced beer and bar food. Eerie to see the it so empty now...but love the activist artwork currently on display.

9. HOLLYWOOD GUINESS WORLD OF RECORDS MUSEUM / Mcdonalds 
I tended to steer clear of these tourist traps because on any given day hundreds of people would be bustling by and stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to take photos of the Hollywood stars...so seeing this street empty and boarded was shocking.

10. RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT
Believe it or not I went to see this in Atlantic City when I was 17 and I don’t believe I need to experience it again...

11. HUNGRY CAT
I used to walk by here all the time but it was a bit pricey so I waited until I was ready to really splurge on champagne and a lobster roll...worth every penny! Too bad I won’t get to try all of the other dishes I was planning on. 

12. KABUKI
Since I worked near this restaurant for years, there was one point where I was stopping in multiple times a day...popular for lunch but also an amazing happy hour and all of the staff knew me. Too bad this place is long gone... 

13. PIG N WHISTLE
Although technically they are still open for delivery and take-out, Pig N’ Whistle holds a special place to me as it was the first place I ever went out to dinner my first time visiting Hollywood (before I ever imagined I’d live here). It opened in 1927 and I have a feeling it will be around for a long time still..hopefully one day I will have another crazy night there! 

14. WANDERLUST YOGA STUDIO & CAFE
Although the yoga classes and facilities were beyond excellent here, I mostly came for the cafe and delicious food and drinks. I loved to sit outside drinking mimosas and eating brunch on the weekends or bringing my laptop to work in the breezy patio until it became dark.  This is one place I am really sad to see gone :( 

15. YOGA VIBE
Now this was the Yoga studio I actually went to for yoga, especially right before lockdown I was finally really getting into the habit of it and this place had a very calming effect. 

16. FARIDA
This place didn’t last too long as it came and went before the pandemic even started, but it was decorated so beautifully and the Middle Eastern food was a lunch staple for me and my coworkers. 
Before it was Farida it was Magnolia (which I tried once), then it was “Vino Bistro” (which I never got a chance to try). 

17, TRUE TATTOO
Got a couple tattoos here on a whim, as I usually do. Super cute place, hope they are able to reopen again! 

18. HOOTERS
I will admit I only went here once as a joke for lunch with a coworker (and maybe stopped by for a quick shot a few times) but it will be weird walking by Hollywod Blvd and La Brea withouth seeing the big orange Hooters sign...

19. SOUL
This hidden gem next to the Roosevelt hotel was another lunch and happy hour favorite, and again I worked a block away...the craw fish 
mac n’ cheese is still one of my favorite things and although this place didn’t last very long, I will miss having after work drinks here. 

21. JACK IN THE BOX
I’ll be honest I never actually ate here, but I did use their parking lot and have driven by it on a daily basis...I can’t imagine how much this Sunset Blvd property must be worth! 

22. STARBUCKS
Now this one had me so disoriented I had to look around and make sure I was on the right street...when I worked on this block I came here almost every morning and afternoon for my giant iced coffees...there was even a time when they served wine and beer but it got to crazy in there being in the middle of Hollywood and all. 

23. JERSEY MIKES
Not gonna lie, this was my go-to for lunch hungover on a Monday morning...luckily there are still a lot of them still open! #mikesway

24. DSW SHOES & ZARA
More wreckage...

Well, it’s been a fun ride...although this project started out a bit depressing (and I’m sure there are MANY more I could add) and some of these places will never open again, but it’s nice to have the memories. 






Copyright 2020 Elise Abdalla















Comments